Simulation Curriculum Corporation announced the release of the long anticipated update to it’s Starry Night software product line today. Starry Night Pro Plus 7 has been released and is available at a great discounted price to current owners of the software. Many new features have been added to the popular planetarium program which is geared towards educators and amateur astronomers alike. I have been fortunate to have hands on experience working with the new product in advance of it’s release today. Look for a full review coming soon to DaltonSkyGazer.com.
Some very powerful new features have been added to the new release. The new user interface has a sharp, yet minimalistic look. The powerful tools I grew to love are all still there along with many new ones. The new interface just makes it much easier to get around the program while minimizing screen clutter at the same time. The user has an astonishing amount of data and viewing options to select from. Planning your next imaging run or creating your nightly viewing list is an extremely fun and easy task to accomplish with Starry Night Pro Plus 7.
Windows 8/7/Vista or Macintosh OS X 10.7 or higher. 1GHz or higher processor, 1 GB RAM and 12 GB of hard disk space. 128 MB OpenGL 1.4 capable graphics card.
Tour the cosmos like never before with all New Advanced Features.
Starry Night Pro Plus 7 makes it easier than ever to access professional grade features and databases, and control your telescope. Engineered for precision, designed for research, and continually evolving for the astronomer who expects the very best in-class planetarium experience.
A few screen captures of the New Starry Night Pro Plus 7 below, followed by the features list. You can click on each image to see a large view.
Tons of New Features Included in the All New Version 7 as listed at the Starry Night Store!
- Planetary Texture Collection offers up to 100 planet and moon maps showing rock and element locations, mineral composition, chemical distribution, gravity, magnetic field, notable topographic features, and much more
- All Sky Survey Images from Planck, IRAS-COBE and 2 Micron reveal a dramatically different view of our sky and let you explore the relic radiation left over from the Big Bang.
- Improved Telescope Support.
- Expanded asteroid catalog with highlighted/highlightable families and groups.
- Updated Equipment List includes the latest telescopes, eyepieces, and accessories.
- Analemma can now be drawn on a planets surface
- Exclusive Extragalactic 3D Database includes over 200,000 galaxies encompassing over 1 billion lights years of space
- New Photorealistc Horizon Panoramas make you feel like you are there.
- All known exoplanets as 3D bodies with proper location, size, orbit and planetary texture
- Stunning new user interface with Universal Search, locates sky objects, favourite files, SkyGuide pages, options, events, and more.
- New highly detailed surface textures of planets and major moons
- All stars accurately rendered as 3-dimensional bodies with classification-appropriate color, texture and relative radii.
- Expanded set of “Space Missions” including 30 new detailed and accurate 3D models of spacecraft and their trajectories. Updates to new/ongoing missions.
- The most precise planetary positions available (using Jet Propulsion Laboratory, JPL-DE-422 ephemerides.)
- 3500 unique object text descriptions for stars, planets, moons, satellites, exoplanets, space missions, deep sky objects and, more.
- Restyled SkyGuide with updated tours and media
- Advanced Planet Rendering for terrain shadows, specular reflections on water, and city night lights on dark side (Earth only).
- Updated Messier catalog with new visually stunning images for star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies.
Other Features found within Starry Night Pro Plus 7:
- Zoom in on the first-ever color All Sky CCD mosaic of the entire sky, to magnitude of 14-15
- Connect to MaxIm DL to take pictures with your telescope and camera and import them into Starry Night*
- Observational Planner
- Ephemeris Generator
- Graph Tool
- Improved Telescope Control
- Equipment List
- FOV Indicators
- Image Editor
- 180 degrees field of view
- Advanced Guides (hour Angle, Precession, Galactic/Extra-Galactic)
- Path Options (Celestial and Local Paths)
- Orbit Editor
- Night Vision
- Advanced Light Pollution Settings
- Location Markers and Surface Feature Outlines
- 12 Milky Way Spectrums
- Travel in time from 99,999 BCE to 99,999 ACE
- Millions of DeepSky Object Databases
- Explore 16 million stars
- Celestial Event Finder
- Starry Night Companion, a 192-page illustrated astronomy book PDF (embedded within the program)
- New, comprehensive 146-page User’s Guide PDF (embedded within the program)
The Starry Night Pro Plus 7 software is now available at the Starry Night Online Store.